The oath on the right was created by the Council for European Urbanism. In its own way it expresses values shared by JustShelter.
A "Hippocratic Oath" for Creating Our Built Environment
The first and foremost duty of architects and urbanists is to create and maintain buildings and settlements that will promote the quality of life, health and well‐being of humanity. All other goals – commercial, artistic, personal ‐‐ must serve and support this primary professional duty.
We will do this by creating and maintaining built environments that offer:
- A range of density and social contact, from urban intensity to natural tranquility
- Causing neither involuntary isolation nor involuntary loss of privacy
- Promoting a just and optimal mediation between conflicting freedoms
- A rich diversity of places and buildings, suitable for a range of stages and conditions of life
- Ability to change to meet unique and changing needs, aspirations, and qualitative judgments
- Ability to feel ownership of a place, with an opportunity to participate in its growth
- Ability to connect to living local traditions
- Ability to care for and love a place
- Beauty in daily life
- Beauty in the extraordinary
- Order in the human environment
- Visual and functional connectivity
- Durability, security, functionality and comfort
INTEGRATION WITH NATURE
- Protection of the systems on which human life, and quality of life, depend
© Council for European Urbanism. May be freely copied with attribution.